Monday, November 10, 2008

A New Day?

The phrase "A New Day" probably is already on the list of most over-used phrases. And yet, lately, it's made quite the comeback. "A New Day" is pretty much the slogan of the post-election period, and whether you agree with it or not, I think it is slightly infectious.

"A New Day" promises something different, a change in some way. And the change in leadership that is about to take place is either great or disheartening or exaggerated, depending on who you talk to. But, it does get me thinking. . . No matter what, things are going to change. For good or for bad, change will happen, a new leader is stepping in after eight years of the same.

How does this in any way relate to Edie and my own lofty goal of getting over her? Because, if I really look at myself, I realize that I've done more of the same for the past three years. Since deciding to get help and entering into a recovery program, I've let things slide. I stopped making big changes. I stopped challenging myself and trying something new. I just did more of the same.

I think it's about time I get out of my rut, and for better or for worse, I've got to try something new and make a change. I need to do something different and make my own "new day".

Just what exactly is that change? Hmm. . .that's the hard part.

2 comments:

erin.bella said...

I needed the gentle nudge.

I've been pretty much just going through the motions with therapy the past month or so.

Thanks Stina. I'm going to talk to my therapist about ways I could be working harder to beat this.

Now if only I could fall asleep!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, though, you have to give yourself a little break from swimming upstream all the time, and just tread water for a little while. Maybe that's what you've been doing, and now you're recognizing that you're ready to start moving again.